After watching a tutorial from the legendary Serge Ramelli on creating the ‘Hollywood’ look in Lightroom using Split Toning, I decided to take my motorcycle into a nearby field and give it a go myself.
The premise of Split Toning is to alter the tint in the highlights and the shadows of an image or film. The Hollywood look inputs a shade of orange into the highlights and a shade of blue into the shadows, creating a unique look with the emphasis on making the actors/actresses ‘pop’.
The look can also be applied to images to give them a unique feel, which I have tried on the shots of my motorcycle below.
The original shot is not bad straight out of the camera. There is some details lost in the highlights and shadows but it’s a decent composition.
The next shot is after it was retouched using the Hollywood technique. I recovered a lot of detail from the highlights and shadows before adding some clarity to the image. I cropped it slightly and removed the distracting flash unit on the right. Finally I added an orange tint into the highlights and some blue into the shadows until I was happy with the end result.
Again this shot straight from the camera isn’t a bad image in itself. The composition is good but again there is lost detail in the highlights and shadows. The bag in the right of the shot is distracting and needs removing.
Below is the retouched version using the Hollywood look technique. The orange tint in the highlights makes the sunset look more aesthetically pleasing whilst the details recovered give the image a more dramatic look. Using Lightroom’s radial filter, I added more clarity and exposure to the bike making it pop without over exposing the background. The bag was removed using the spot removal tool.
Overall I’m happy with my first attempt at using Split Toning in Lightroom. I really like how shot 2 turned out, it reminds me of the kind of image you’d see in a marketing campaign. I’ll continue to play around with the Hollywood look and see how I can apply it to different types of photography in the future.
Finally getting into the swing of the New Year and what better way to start it than to share one of my favourite images taken over the festive period.
I didn’t have the camera out much over Christmas but I had it with me on Christmas Day and the shot below is an example of how the perfect shot can just ‘happen’ and if you don’t have a camera with you, it’s gone forever.
Our cat Willow decided to get into the festive spirit by jumping into an empty box out of curiosity or just to avoid the minefield of wrapping paper. Immediately I took a few snaps and fortunately she was fixated on something across the room so I jumped on the floor to take this unusual but interesting portrait shot.
On review of the shot I thought it would make a fantastic black and white portrait and here is the final result!
Astrophotography. A word I was not familiar with until I saw a fascinating news article the other day showcasing some extraordinary photography of the milky way by a mid-twenties photographer.
Sure, I was aware that you can take pictures of the stars but it never crossed my mind to try, but after seeing some of the amazing results you can get with modern DSLR’s these days, I decided to give it a go.
Last night, I headed up to Stinchcombe Hill, the nearest place to where I live where I thought I could get a remotely dark sky. Armed with my DSLR, a tripod, a flash and a remote, I found a suitable location with a decent composition.
As it turns out, I didn’t realise just how much light pollution affects how much of the sky we can see! It was also bloody cold so I decided not to stick around too long and to just have a quick play around with the different settings to see what results I could come up with.
Below is a series of images starting with the shot straight from the camera, two shots that were retouched in Lightroom and then the final image which is a composition of the two retouched photos (My settings were 12mm at f5.6, ISO 400 for 90s).
After some research, I realised that to get the best shots of the stars I needed a wider aperture with higher ISO and a shorter shutter speed. But I’m happy with the final result for the first try.